ICDP was established in order to contribute with its work to promote, complement or support any action which aims at obtaining the abolition of the death penalty in all regions of the world.
The objectives of the ICDP are:
- Promote the abolition of the death penalty in the legislation of countries carefully considered, in particular, in the legislation of countries which apply a de facto moratorium on the use of the death penalty.
- Promote the establishment of a moratorium on the use of the death penalty in all regions of the world, allowing the most widespread and effective implementation of a universal moratorium on the horizon of 2015, with a view to its total abolition.
- Solicit the stop of executions in cases where International Law restricts its application, in particular, when it affects the most vulnerable groups of society (juvenile offenders, pregnant women and mentally ill).
To achieve these objectives, the International Commission will carry out the following activities in a strategic and selective manner:
- Collaborate and intervene before high representatives and personalities of specific countries, along with International and Regional Organizations and civil society representatives.
- Make appeals and statements on matters of concern relating to the abolition of the death penalty.
- Participate in conferences and seminars, as well as in campaigns to mobilize public opinion.
- Dissemination of information and presentation of papers at international forums.
- Promote intellectual and artistic works in favour of the abolition of the death penalty.